We head out in the early evening so that we can beat the crowds - and, frankly, not annoy as many people.
Destination? Our favorite Japanese Steakhouse...where we tend to go for most special occasions (we have a different favorite spot for non-special occasions). We were lucky to have a table all to ourselves so we could laugh and talk and be silly...we are good at all of those things.
We talked about where we will have the four wives sit one day and decided we will have to reserve a couple of tables to fit all of us. We asked the boys how many children they want to have. Hudson (3 - "Because I'm not crazy."), Owen (100), Jude (10). We noticed there were two empty spots at our table that would be perfect for our own boy number 5 and boy number 6 and the boys cheered - Yes! Yes! And Brian and I cheered - No! No! Then we figured that one day, when the kids have families, there may be so many of us that we will fill the whole restaurant...and I'm sure Brian's mind wandered to how much that will cost him!
In my dreams I will have my family around me like that (and our parents will live forever and be a part of it all)...but I know that kids grow up, move away, start their own traditions and things change, darn it.
And so I'm trying to soak up all this togetherness while it's here in front of me. But - I can still dream.
People always get a kick out of our family - even without us giving them reason. Just one look at us with all these little boys sparks laughter and conversation everywhere we go.
Jude kept grinning at me each time I got out the camera. I'm thinking he was happy.
Hudson has become pretty good at catching the shrimp when the chef tosses it to him. Look at Owen's face - he is staring at the chef thinking, "Don't you dare ask me to catch that shrimp. I'd rather die than put a shrimp in my mouth."
But....after Owen politely said "no thank you" several times the chef WOULD NOT give up and threw that shrimp right at Owen. Owen just cringed and let that puppy hit him in the forehead and bounce to the floor. We all laughed. Owen sighed and had the hee-bee-gee-bee chills for a second. Then he happily returned to his fried rice.
Quinn is never this still at a restaurant. I love it.
He thought he should stand up and eat so that he could see the action better.
After our yummy meal we tried to take a picture that said farewell to 2011.
Hudson has the 2
Owen has the 0
Jude has the 1
Quinn is trying to get the other 1
Quinn is still trying to get the 1...
It's kind of confusing when we have all been making him practice showing off his 2 this year!
(Hudson cracked up when he saw this picture of himself.)
And because we must end with desert...
Destination? Krispy Kreme. Hot Donuts Now!
Oh, this is good.
I could stand here and watch that frosting all day.
Let the wild rumpus start.
Brian - voted best dad of 2011.
And all of this before 7:30pm. The night was still young! We had lots more fun ahead of us, but I was too tuckered out (or maybe it was the food coma) to capture any of it! I also didn't want to annoy a bunch of boys by taking constant pictures...but now I wish I had.
I dedicate this to a wonderful New Years Eve.
The night left my belly full - and my heart even FULLER.
No comments:
Post a Comment