1) We had no snow but lots of sunshine.
2) We had no GRANDPARENTS!
Brian's parents stayed in Tennessee with Brian's brother and his family. My parents stayed south because my mom broke her lower leg and is still recovering. It sure seemed weird and we all really missed them. My older brother lives near by, but he was busy the whole holiday weekend (and yes, I'm bracing myself for when my daughter-in-laws tell me the same thing). Luckily, we did get to spend time with Brian's grandparents and my other brother and his family who were in town.
The most important thing is that our little family had each other...and we tried to carry on the family traditions as best we could!
Well, as mentioned before, I've been accused of not liking holiday decorations. I'm not going to admit if this is true or not. Let the following gazillion pictures prove that I do try...
The stockings were hung by the chimney with care! (While getting our Christmas on Owen discovered that if he mixed these SANTA letters up then our stockings can be hung by the word SATAN....wonderful.)
The elves showed up just in time for the 12 days of Christmas. Yes, we have four elves instead of just one. That means each of my kids are being watched at all times and if they are being really good then the elves leave them a chocolate kiss. If they are being less than good they get nothing. If they are being extremely less than good, then they get a note warning them that they better shape up! (I don't suggest taking the elf thing this far...one elf without candy is what I wish Santa had sent us). It's kind of crazy how much the boys LOVE this tradition! A couple of the elves were injured this year so we will have to see who shows up next year. Some of these elves are kinda ugly anyway, no?
I understand that it is being a good and honest parent to tell your kids the truth about all things. I respect that a lot - but I've never claimed to be a good and honest parent. :) I'm not sure I will ever tell my kids the truth about...
When Brian and I were first married we had a pretty, picturesque Christmas tree. It all matched and even matched the decor of the room it was in. When Hudson and Owen were both small we stopped by my cousin Kristen's house during Christmas time. When I saw her tree I melted. It was full of sentimental ornaments her kids had gathered over the years. It was fun, colorful, and best of all it told a story. That is when I decided I wanted a tree that told a story. We have been collecting ornaments for the boys every year that have something to do with each of them. When it's time to get out the ornaments the kids light up as they sort through their own special pile. I was quite pleased this year when I realized how big our collection is getting. Some of them are cute. Some are totally not. Some are goofy little doo-dads they made at school. And I love them all. (But one day I may have 2 trees - one of them pretty and matching.)
This was Brian's ornament one year. The next year he got the same thing except the diet version - definitely a symbol of the switch that he had finally made that year.
My friend made me this last year and I love it.
This was the ornament I got for Brian and I this year.
These four little monkeys are the ornaments the boys received this year - because they are our four little monkeys after all.
We read a lot of Christmas books, but I wish we'd read them all. Santa Mouse is my favorite Christmas book from when I was a kid. My kids always want to read that book first so maybe it's their favorite too? (Or maybe I sorta hint that they should choose it!)
My favorite Christmas decorations hang on my wall in the kitchen and are of the construction paper variety. If you are too fancy to hang a creative elf, a beautiful poinsettia, and a one eyed Rudolf in your house, well then...well then we probably wouldn't be friends.
The halls were decked and ready for the big day. And the big day came...
Waiting to be called downstairs to see what was left under the tree!
After we opened and played with the great things Santa brought - the boys gave each other the gifts they'd bought for one another. Early in the season we went to dinner and as we sat around the table the boys drew names. After dinner we headed straight to the store where they secretly, and sneakily, bought their items.
Quinn gave Hudson a camping tool. (Quinn looks beat up in all these pictures because there were Fire Cheetos in the stockings. What? Your 2 year old doesn't eat Fire Cheetos? Oh - well my 2 year old is tougher than your 2 year old!)
Owen gave Jude the very pirate ship that Santa was planning to bring! Jude was so happy - as was Owen! Santa wasn't as happy about finding something else to bring Jude.
Hudson gave Owen race cars. Including Finn McMissile! (Take that one off your list too Santa.)
Jude gave Quinner a dump truck! Now that's love.
Later in the day we tried to carry on with tradition by making Frappe'. This is my Grandma Eva's recipe and it is yuummy. I feel another recipe coming on...nope, too tired after all these pictures I'm putting on here - maybe another time. Lets just say it is like drinking a creamsicle. I taught Hudson and Mckay how to make it.
Mckay made a simple toast, "To tradition." Well done Mckay.
And grown-ups love it too. I was trying to make a silly face but ended up looking just weird. Imagine that.
Ash spent hours (seriously) putting together a play mobile toy for Jude. That made Jude (and his dad) very, very happy!
We ended the night with a movie.
And a lot of joy.
I dedicate this post to my family. Alright, it's true - I don't like Christmas/Halloween/Valentines/what-have-you decorations. But I LOVE YOU and I hope that all this stuff filling up my house helps you feel that!
OH! PS! It seems every year someone gives us a treat that I just can't stay away from. Two years ago it was cake pops - the first I'd ever had. Last year it was those little Ikea cookies with the jelly in the middle. This year it's these...they are like a little caramel, waffle sandwich. Make your hot chocolate then set the cookie on the top until it starts to warm and melt a bit. Holy cow. I might have to throw them out because if I don't I may eat the whole box. I feel a New Years resolution coming on.
Now I better run back downstairs to see what New Years Eve excitement is going on. So far we've had a fun filled night!
First off, way to go Owen with respelling Santa. That is funny. Secondly, my mom told me just this year that Santa IS real, and that if someone doesn't want to write a Santa letter and such, they are just missing out. Thirdly, I love random ornaments and beautiful ornaments both. When I was little my sister and I would fight over a mouse on a chair ornament (which we thought was a mouse on a potty). It wasn't a special ornament but it is one I remember. now I like to mix my pretty ornaments with the vintage ones (from my grandma and Roger's mom) and the kids' homemade ones, and random picked out ones. It makes for a tree that pleases us all. Lastly, way to go on making Christmas at home without your parents around happen in such an awesome way. Love your decorations. Love your kids happy smiles. Wow, what a long comment. . .
ReplyDeleteI love all your picture and I am so impressed you have all of them on your blog already. I love your blog !!!
ReplyDelete