Thursday, December 29, 2011

Christmas Eve

We delivered gifts.  The boys always wear Santa hats - two of them play music and shake and bounce...the hats, that is, not the boys.  They think it's funny to see people laugh at these silly hats.  I love watching my kids do this - Brian and I laugh and laugh as they run all over the neighborhood, chase our car, and react to the hugs of many old people.  I will always love this memory. 



Some of our gifts had this bloom attached.





I had a couple friends call and ask me how to make the tissue paper bloom.  Of course I didn't make them.  Darn.  I found this garland at target for practically nothing - I just pulled off the blooms and tied them with fun ribbon.  Target still has a bunch of them....go get one. 



We met up with my brother Scott and his family for lunch.  We were so happy to have them in town and grateful they made time for us! We ate at the Meat Factory...well, not really - but considering I'm not a meat eater, I definitely go to this restaurant for my boys.  It's a fun spot though, and I think my niece and nephew liked it too (Ash was super close to eating the chicken heart but ended up making the right decision on that one). 



Then we headed to Beach Resort to hang out a bit. 











I'm bugged that my pictures of Ash on the rope course were blurry - she was the bravest one!

I had decided not to bake much during the holidays - you know, simplifying - but the next thing I knew I found myself listening to the whir of the kitchen aid.   These are my kids all time favorite cookies and I make them far more often than I should.

Considering I come from a family of great cooks (and even better eaters) - I guess it's about time I put a recipe on this blog.  This way, when my boys tell their kids about Grandma Sherrie's cookies, they will know just how to make them. AND YOU BETTER MAKE THEM FOR THOSE LITTLE GRANDCHILDREN OF MINE!!  Yes, I'm hoping my boys all learn to cook.  I used to have them fall asleep watching the cooking channel. It made me giddy to hear them say things like, "Mom, you really need a double boiler to melt that chocolate."

Didn't make Brian as giddy. 


A close up - the way Owen (and his friends) like to eat these cookies best is JUST LIKE THIS! (I've been known to tell the neighbor kids not to tell their Mom's I let them eat the raw dough - sorry Rachel!)


One night when Owen was probably 5 or 6 I went to squish my way onto the couch in between Owen and Hudson.  As I was backing in (beep! beep!  beep!) Owen exclaimed, "Here comes big mamma!"  This has been a joke around here ever since.  And so I present to you...

Big Mamma's Chocolate Chip Cookies:
(If you have a big family like I do, I highly suggest you double this recipe - then put half of the dough, chips and all, in a zip lock bag in the freezer.  Any time your kids want cookies you'll be ready. Pull out the bag and let it soften for a bit - then make the cookies.  They turn out even better from the frozen dough!) 

1 c. shortening (half  stick of butter flavor, half stick of regular - if you double the recipe just use one whole stick of each - easy! Isn't that reason enough to double it?)
3/4 c. sugar
3/4 c. brown sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
2 3/4 cup flour (you can add a couple T. if you need - dough should be really soft but just barely at the point where it doesn't stick to your hands)
1 tsp. almond extract (my very vital secret ingredient!)
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 pkg. guittard milk chocolate chips (yep, the big ones)


Mix ingredients together 

Let dough chill in the refrigerator for 30 min (important) - I just keep mine in the same bowel

Roll into small balls - we like ours bite size - and place on greased cookie sheet

Bake on 375 degrees for 8 min. (exactly 8 min is perfect in my oven - and my last oven - and the oven before that - but maybe not your oven! )

* Cookies will be a tad under-cooked at this point...that's how it should be

Place cookie sheet, with hot cookies, on counter. Cover with a clean dish towel

Let the cookies sit under the towel for 10-15 min. (This is the tip that took these cookies to the next level! I got this tip from Kami at nobiggie.net - she is married to my friend Kyle. Actually, everyone who reads my blog already knows this...everyone knows about Kami.  Shes famous.  Ha ha! But really she is.)




It was a fun Christmas Eve! I felt a little guilty that we didn't leave any cookies out for Santa and the elves, but they were gone.  Hope Santa liked his string cheese.  :)


I dedicate this post to anyone who tries this recipe.  Please forgive me if you turn into a big mamma. 

4 comments:

  1. you are forgiven. they are worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sherrie- i just got your adorable cute christmas card (i'm so bad at getting our mail!). thanks for including your blog address- i love seeing your cute boys! send me an email at jessibeaumont@gmail.com so i can invite you to ours!
    xo
    jessica (toolson) beaumont

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! You crack me up!

    I'm so glad that tip is working for you! It's a good one!

    Looks like a fun time for your family. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the big mamma story you really need to write a book. And I think your gifts looked adorable and you say your not crafty?

    ReplyDelete