Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Born On The 4th Of JULY

My O dog.

The day Owen was born I watched hot air balloons fill the sky outside my hospital window.  I could hear the faint beating of a marching band drum.  Crowds of family members visited - all dressed in red, white, and blue. When the last of the balloons had landed and everyone left to go eat burgers and hot dogs - I stared at the bright blue sky and took a deep breath.

I have always, always loved the fourth of July and I loved it even more now.  So much more.

That bright blue sky grew black.  I was tired.  Then bursts of light filled my dark room as the fireworks exploded just blocks away.  Each time my room filled with light I'd look at his little face and feel a burst of love just as powerful.  It felt like the whole world was celebrating his arrival (for years to come Owen would think the fireworks were just for him).

And the world would have reason to celebrate him.  The day Owen was born the world gained one of the sweetest, most loving souls. 




Brian and I have actually spent some time worrying about Owen.  Worrying that he's too tender hearted for this big, rough world.  Isn't that a terrible thing to have to worry about?

But, the more we watch him grow, the better we feel. Maybe the world won't eat him up and spit him out.  Maybe, just maybe, the world will savor and appreciate him for being good (with a tasty dash of quirky).

Owen is so many good things - but most of all he is genuine.  He has literally no concept of trying to be something other than what and who he is...he could never attempt to "act cool" -

WHICH MAKES HIM COOLER THAN COOL.




A month or so ago Brian and I were talking about the boys and he said, "The more I watch Owen the more I think he's the one who's got life figured out.  He is just happy.  We should all be like him." 

He loves his parents...



His brothers are his everything...






He will gush over his grandparents...





His big blue eyes make you feel as warm as a beautiful summer sky.
His heart beats as big and strong as a marching band drum. 
His giant grin lights up the room like a firework.

His soul will rise to the occasion - like a hot air balloon.


I dedicate this post to Owen. I love, and celebrate, you!  I hope you had a happy, happy birthday (clear back in July!).

PS. As always, I reserve the right to say only the best things about my children on their birthdays.  :)

1 comment:

  1. There are only good things to say about Owen! (birthday or not :)

    ReplyDelete