Tuesday, January 25, 2011

And the nominees for mother of the year are...



I was looking through pictures of the summer. I found quite a few that I want to write about...but when I saw this one I figured I better get this story off my chest.

Our boys love legos. Legos, legos, legos. We were in Carlsbad this summer and finally made it to Lego Land! It was super cool and we all had a blast.

When we first arrived we decided to rent one of the double strollers at the park. Well that thing didn't look like much but boy was it slick! With the slightest touch it took off on a swift smooth glide - even when it was loaded down with all our gear and our babe. The boys all wanted to take a turn pushing this "fast" stroller. "This thing is great!" Who knew even the strollers at Lego Land would bring them joy? We were off to a terrific start.

After several hours of fun and rides Brian took the boys on one of their favorite coasters while Quinn and I strolled around. I made my way to an outdoor gift shop where I spot some swords and decide to check them out. I stop the stroller and turn to see the price. Six dollars...not bad...I think I'll bring the boys back to pick one out. "Do you think your brothers' would like these Quinn? QUINN? QUINN?!" He's gone...the stroller is gone!

I look to the left. No baby. I look to the right. No baby. I look ahead. No baby. I run a few steps and look ahead. There goes Quinn right down (yes DOWN) the sloped Lego Land path in his slick stroller...all by himself.

"HELP! HELP! GRAB THAT BABY! GRAB THAT STROLLER!" I'm sure all of you mothers out there have had to yell those words at some point in your mothering life. No? OH.

Thankfully someone was already in the process of grabbing the stroller and looking around to see where this baby came from. They didn't have to look far to find the crazy woman running frantically in their direction. "Oh my gosh! Thank you! Thank you!"

I take a second to glance around wondering how many people saw that. Not many. There were only about fifty sets of eyes on me at that moment. Well... I think I'll just take a second to check on my baby and ignore all those eyes.

I look at Quinn. Was there fear? No. Was there shock? No. Our eyes met and he started to giggle. Then I started to laugh and laugh....and I laugh every time I look at this picture.



I dedicate this post to baby Quinn. If one day you have a need for speed... a need to feel the wind in your hair...I will try to be patient recognizing that I was the one who planted that seed during the great Lego Land episode of 2010. Love you.

1 comment:

  1. That is a way funny story! Can't say as it has happened to me, but many other embarrassing and not-great-for-a-mom-moments have. All I can say is at least he was happy!

    Great posts! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete