Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Mom Down!

Yesterday it finally caught me.
It being the bug that has caught everyone else in this household and this valley.

I woke up, opened my eyes, felt the pain, and thought about calling out, "Mayday! Mayday! Mom down! Mom down!"

This sounds dramatic but you all know that when mom gets sick it's a full blown emergency.

Oh no. I felt panic and I know Brian felt panic/annoyance. I don't blame him because we all feel that way when our spouse is sick...it takes two to successfully manage the craziness.

Our wing man can not fail us.

For a few minutes my boys gathered around me like I was a true fallen soldier. Cute. Then the mission of getting to school on time got us back on task.

I started calling the doctor right away. I took their first opening. After painfully packing lunches and making breakfast (that's the kind of stuff moms do when sick), I ran to the appointment.

I felt lucky that Brian stayed home with the younger two - really lucky. The handful of times I've been sick in our married life he has pretty much always been out of town...meaning I have had the joy of dragging all of my kids to the doctor with their sick mamma (because that's just how it is when moms get sick).

When the doctor checked my records he said, "Wow. You haven't been sick in a long time. Let me guess, it's because moms can't get sick?" Funny. How did he know?

Everyone knows.

It took one hour for me to see the doctor, get my prescription, take a bunch of ibuprofen, and wallah...send Brian off to work feeling like I was again up to my job as sergeant of this little army (because sick moms can't wallow).

I thought maybe I should still lay down for a bit - but Quinn has never seen me do such a thing and was not having it! So I got to work (sick moms don't have a choice).

At lunch time I was surprised to see Brian walk in...with take-out. Soup and hot rolls for Quinn and me. Steak and blue cheese salad for Jude and him. How did he know? (Because that's what good husbands do when moms get sick).

Love my wing man.

Today? I am up and running, of course (moms definitely can't stay sick - and truly don't want to).

BECAUSE IT'S GREAT TO BE NEEDED. At ease soldiers.



How could I stay sick with such a cute doctor in the house?



PS. Brian was sick last week and had to keep going. Looks like dads can't get sick either!





I dedicate this post to my dad, who also caught the bug (but much worse). I wish I could send a dose of this little guy to make you well.



3 comments:

  1. First let me say, awesome wing man! And great Dr. In training! I hate that I feel guilty when I'm sick. Guilty that I'm sick and not up to par...really? Like I chose to be sick?! But like you said, great moms (like you) just keep on keepin' on! Hope you feel better really soon! Need some creamy chicken noodle soup?;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said! I'm glad you were taken care of!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you feel better soon !!!

    ReplyDelete