Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Life As A Princess

We had a bad morning here.

Hudson got upset with me.

Jude got upset with Owen.

Brian had to give a lecture.
(He has some good ones and it's funny when he gives me a discreet smirk in the middle of them - as if to say, "I still can't believe I'm a Dad and that I'm lecturing.")

I was wishing I had a rewind button and we could start the day over.

Oh well.

The great thing about kids (or boys?) is that they don't hold onto an argument...so I won't hold onto it either. I will enjoy my afternoon. All my afternoons are spent with a fun guy so that won't be hard.

While the big boys are at school and Quinn naps - Jude and I have the house to ourselves. Jude is pretty good at entertaining himself. He seems to love getting home from preschool and having a few hours of peace and quiet. After he is done with "his time", I try to make sure I have some time with him before the 3 o'clock tornado begins whipping through his life (and mine).



"Our time" often means it is "STAR WARS TIME."

We don't play with little figures...no, no, that is for amateurs. We, my friends, are the characters. (And yes, doing a puzzle or reading is easier and often preferable - sshhhh, don't tell Jude I said that! )

My boys have seen all of the movies a dozen times each. I have seen bits and pieces here and there. I don't know much at all about the story....but I pretend that I do. Apparently my acting is sufficient for a four year old. (And you should see my sword fighting skills!)

Last week Jude and I were in the middle of an exciting Star Wars moment when I got a text on my phone. Without even thinking I "broke character" and went to check my message.

As I was typing my response a little person came up next to me and, in a dramatic voice, whispered...

"Are you using your phone to contact Anakin?"

"What? Oh, umm, no." I'm totally out of character at this point...but lucky me, he didn't notice!

"Oh. You're contacting Yoda?"

"Huh? OH!"
SNAP BACK!

"YES! YES! I'm contacting Yoda! Yoda? Are you there? Come in Yoda."



These are afternoons to remember.




I dedicate this post to my storm trooper. I love being your Princess Leia. "Do you copy?"

4 comments:

  1. fine. Make a sad lady cry. I don't even know why I am crying! Probably because T is playing in the other room by himself and I am sitting at the computer, most certainly not playing star wars. I am bad at that--and my acting is somehow not sufficient for my four year old, who corrects everything I do even though he hasn't even seen all the movies. You are a really good mom, Sherrie. It's a pleasure reading these, even if I cry. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are absolutely wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're ALIVE!!! Oh my goodness I just looked at your blog for about an hour! I love love love keeping up on you guys! Our lives have been crazy lately! We moved which is a story all by itself. It's funny I just checked that comment where you asked where we've been and the day before Ryan had said "We NEED to call the Boxxes!" We miss you guys so much. I am ready to pop and can't wait to get home so all of your boys can teach our little guy how to be sweet, fun, cool and cute! We'll call you guys this week! XOXO

    ReplyDelete