Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Summer Strep

Strep throat invaded our home causing the boys to miss the last day of school. Crazy timing.

Owen was sad about missing all the fun, but I assured him he wasn't missing out on a thing...because we all know that on the last day of first grade all the kids must spend their day scrubbing, cleaning, and mopping those classrooms until they shine. Isn't that right?

Hudson was too sick to care about missing school but a bit sad about missing some end of the year parties.



I had several people offer their condolences, stating that this was a terrible way to start the summer. Imagine their shock when I told them this was the best start of summer I've had in ages!

My boys...forced to celebrate the end of school with just each other.

We hunkered down and completely enjoyed two days of relaxation. With the two oldest low on energy the mood of the house was refreshingly mellow.

There were legos, movies, audio books.
There were milk shakes, popsicles and chicken noodle soup.

I felt for a minute like this sickness was a gift. The gift of sickness = the gift of time.

Funny, after several days of house arrest I noticed that my kids were less inclined to jump up and run to gather friends. In fact, they spent an extra day with just their brothers - without any orders on my part.

I dare say they too had a great start to summer.

And because of all this I decided that each Wednesday would be reserved for brothers only. We have been able to hold to this goal quite well. I think it made these warm months away from school even better. You see, my boys love their brothers. They play and talk and have a great time with just each other...but it's up to me to make sure they have that time together. It's up to me.




I dedicate this post to Wednesday. You are a beautiful day and I'll never look at you the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment