I also have one that is not decent or valid...
You see, I am NOT crafty and the whole create a Valentine's Day box for school thing doesn't thrill me. I know, I know...I heard you gasp. "What kind of mother is she?!" You're right - verdict is still out on that one.
But every year when February comes I have to FACE THE BOX.
You better believe I was so happy when Judes' teacher sent a note home saying that they would prepare their boxes in class...I love that lady!
Owens' note simply said to bring a Valentine box of any kind...so I may or may not have run to Walmart and purchased a $4 red mailbox in which the only assembly/decorating involved was to apply stickers.
HE LOVED IT - so there!
Just when I thought I was getting off easy...Hudsons' teacher (who I loved a TON until now) sent home a note informing parents that not only did the boxes need to be made at home...but there would also be a contest to see who's box was the most creative, unique, etc.
Oh that's wonderful.
By the way...my Valentine box nightmares first began while trying to help Hudson make one in Kindergarten. It was my first go-round since I was a kid. I thought it would be fun! Not so...there were a lot of tears. He didn't like how it looked when he did the decorating. He liked it even less when I tried to help. It didn't match the "vision" he had, it wasn't cool, the colors were too girly...
Poor kid is creative beyond his lame mothers' skills. Disappointment all around. Luckily he's grown up a lot - and this time around shouldn't be THAT bad. We will be working on his box tonight. I will put on a smile...and he will be convinced that I think the whole thing is fun and magical. I will pretend because I KNOW that love is worth the work.
So worth the work.
BUT WAIT! What is great about February is receiving Valentine's Day cards from two sets of Grandparents in the same week! I never tire of seeing my kids' faces when they get mail of their own! Love it - and love the senders.
This sweet gesture put me in a more festive mood and I decided to get some hearts to stick on our front window. It was a little harder for Quinn to do than I expected. Oh great...he probably has my lack of crafting skills. What's that? Sticking pre-made hearts on a window isn't crafting?
When I saw these pictures I thought to myself...THIS IS A LOVE STORY.
"This is fun!"
"Wait, this isn't working right."
"I'm no good at this...my stinkin' heart won't stay up."
"Don't worry Quinn! Brother's here...never fear! I will teach you everything I know."
"You just have to use two hands! Voila!"
"Oh I see! You're so smart Jude."
"Stretching up, up, up with my two little hands!"
"I did it!" And so he begins to learn that love is worth the work!
I think February is looking better and better.
Awe shucks...what's not to love?
PS. I can't wait for the 14th! Brian got the boys a little surprise that they are going to go CRAZY over!
I dedicate this post to loving Grandparents...whose thoughtfulness can turn a whole month around. This is our Valentine to you!
How stinkin cute is Quinn in that picture when he finally put the heart on the window. Good luck with the box !!!
ReplyDeleteLet's just say that Dad came to the rescue on the box this year - I'm happy to turn over pinewood derby to Mom though...
ReplyDeleteHa ha...we don't want another incident where the car doesn't cross the finish line. Yes, you saved the day and Hudson loved every second! Thanks.
ReplyDeleteI'm just happy to see that you put up decorations this year! What's next?
ReplyDelete