There are a lot of important people, especially little people, who need me to be happy, positive, energetic and available to them. I need the pep talk because on occasion I long for night to come before I've even lifted the covers. Don't judge.
Then I see their faces and I smile. I try to do something silly - because I like them to laugh when they start their day. The business of the morning takes over and my thoughts of crawling back in bed have no room to exist. It's on with the day. Hopefully a good one.
I will accomplish a lot or a little...depending on how you look at it. I will do the same things I must do everyday - over and over and over. I will try to remind myself how much these things really do matter. Sometimes I'm convinced. Sometimes I'm not.
I will eventually come to the end of the day tired and now deserving of sleep. But first I must head to tell the boys goodnight. Some nights I get to stay, snuggle, and talk. Other nights I need to be quicker so I can get Quinn to bed.

One thing is always the same...this little conversation MUST happen before anyone can go to sleep. When closing the door to Owen and Judes' room I will hear this:
Owen: Good night Mom! Don't let the bed bugs bite!
Me: OOOUCHHH! Oh, that got me! (in as dramatic a voice as I can muster)
Owen: I love you!
Me: Well, I love you more!
Pause
Jude: Goodnight Mom! Don't let the bed bugs bite!
Me: OOOUUUWWEE! That was a big one and it got me too! (in a voice equally, but not more, dramatic)
Jude: I love you!
Me: Well, I love you more!
And so it goes every night. It's their routine and they do it over and over and over and it matters a lot - to them and to me. IT MATTERS.
I then head off to tell Hudson good night (where a whole different routine begins - equally as cute - but I don't think he wants me ruining his macho image) and that's when I hear them start up again. "Good night Dad! Don't let the bed bugs bite!"
I think to myself that all too quickly these little bodies will be too big for these little beds - I try to soak it in.
It is freezing outside and I haven't heard if the ground hog saw his shadow - but it doesn't really matter because these boys make this house feel as warm as spring. Perhaps I will eagerly jump out of bed tomorrow.
I dedicate this post to my Dad (the snowbird) because when my boys grow up and leave - I too may feel that winter is too cold to bear. Miss you.
darling post, Sherrie.
ReplyDeleteHi Sherrie! It's so fun to hear from you! And to see that you are blogging more!
ReplyDeleteYou are a good mom to those 4 boys of yours. They are lucky to have you.
Okay...to do a strike through in a blog post, you just insert this into the HTML:
...what is your email? I can't paste it in here. Email me: kami@nobiggie.net and I will give you the code.
Sherrie, your stories are very sweet and inspiring so keep up the great work.
ReplyDeleteYour have the cutest blog ever. Having 4 boys looks like so much fun.
ReplyDeleteSher, you are awesome! You are my hero! I hope you like blogging, because I just love reading your blogging-- which I heard about, but just found! :)
ReplyDelete